Today, WordPress has already turn into a common target for malicious hacker attacks. Just in this year, over 170,000 sites and blogs, focusing on the basis of WordPress have already been hijacked. In 2014 this figure will probably grow. How come this happening, if WordPress is known as to be very safe platform? Let’s check out the statistics and determine, whether your WP installation is definitely the next target for hackers.
Learn on others’ mistakes!
41% of sites were hacked through the fault of hosting providers. Therefore an attacker has used the vulnerability of hosting in their own interests, or used security hole at hosting provider to hack WordPress blogs, situated on a vulnerable host.
29% of sites were hacked due to WordPress themes vulnerability. In other words, a hacker has identified the weaknesses of theme, installed on WP and deploying it, reached his goal – got usage of the website.
22% of sites were hacked as a result of vulnerability of plug-ins, installed on WordPress.
8% webpages were hijacked, as a result of weak password to the panel.
What happens during a hacker attack?
If an attacker could access your WordPress blog or website, he’ll likely utilize the following list of techniques to hide his tracks on the site and stay there for a little longer:
– Creating a new account with administrator privileges;
– Resetting passwords for multiple accounts to avoid other users entering your personal WP site;
– Changing the role of the prevailing inactive account;
– Injecting malicious code in to the content;
– Modifying WordPress files, to re-gain usage of the system via malicious code (such as a backdoor);
– Creating redirects in .htaccess files.
How to protect WordPress from hacker attacks?
As you can see, to hack WordPress site is very simple, but there are also good news – it is possible to protect yourself from hacking. Looking back and examining the reality, you can know very well what to do, to raise the amount of protection for your site from hackers:
– Before you decide on or change providers, it seems sensible to gather some information about the web hosting provider: browse forums, blogs and articles.
– Before installing a style or plugin, study them and get them to regularly updated official products.
– Delete or rename the administrator account automagically.
– Use a strong password. Under a strong password, After all a password that contains at least 8 characters, which do not form any word and is not a nickname of your dog. The password also needs to contain lowercase and uppercase, numbers, and special characters such as!, &,?
– Keep your themes, plugins along with other software updated and always utilize fresh patches to protect your software from its suppliers.
– If you use the above tips, the security of one’s WordPress will largely increase, and it will be protected from probably the most trusted and known attacks.
Don’t stop! Keep further hacked website services !
You can not take one-time measures to improve WordPress safety and stop at this, because a site’s security is essential to cope with constantly. The measures, you are taking now and can take in the future, may influence and can affect the security of one’s site without doubts. But do not immediately become discouraged and think that now you have to suffer, constantly trying to secure your webpage, since there is nothing complicated in this process.